After I made my first pink Flint Pants, I wanted to make another pair right away. I didn’t have any good fabric, and I haven’t been buying a lot of fabric recently. I’m trying really, really hard to use up what fabric I have in my stash, but I didn’t have any lightweight, drapey fabric. I was just going to wait until next summer, but a couple of weeks ago I thrifted a bunch of amazing apparel fabric. (I’m sort of on a fabric buying freeze, but I can’t pass up yards of apparel fabric for $3.99.) One of the fabrics I thrifted was this gorgeous, drapey striped fabric.
Let me tell you about this fabric. It’s kind of a loooong story.
When I got the fabric, it was smooth and flat similar to rayon. I washed it and dried it for the first time, and when it came out of the dryer it had shrunk in on the weft. It turned into a crinkly gauze like fabric, and it was very different from when it went in the wash initially. At first I was really disappointed in the changed because I was hoping for rayon-like striped fabric. But I thought maybe it would still work for the Flint pants as drapey, crinkly pants. I ironed it flat, and when the fabric was steamed all the wrinkles fell out. I decided to cut it out when it was ironed so I could get smooth lines, and I thought it would wrinkle up and the pants would fit me just a little tighter.
I cut out the pattern when the fabric was ironed and flat. The fabric sewed up well; it was really easy to work with. I used shell buttons again, but this time I used the wood-like back to get matching tan buttons. I really like the organic look of shell and wood buttons. The only alteration I made from my first pair was to lengthen the darts slightly since I’m taller than the pattern and forgot to lengthen them the first time I lengthened the pattern.
I also partially lined the pants. I lined from the waistband till about mid-thigh. The fabric is slightly transparent when it’s ironed flat. I treated the pants and lining pieces as one which was easier to sew, but I forgot to line where the back of the pockets were since they are separate pieces. You can only see it when I tuck in a dark shirt, and it shows through.
When I finished there were some wrinkles here and there, but the pants fit great and I was happy with the result. I decided to throw them in the dryer to get it to wrinkle up so I could see what they looked like when they shrunk and crinkled in. Surprisingly, the dryer doesn’t change the fabric at all. When I took them out of the dryer, they were exactly the same.
I’m disappointed that I’ll have to iron them every time (unless I find a different way to wash them that won’t make the wrinkles come back), but I really do love these pants! They move so well, and they are a great basic. I think I finally finished my summer wardrobe just before it gets cold, and maybe I’ll write up a post putting it all together. I didn’t plan this wardrobe, and that’s why it took so long, but I’m really happy with where it ended up. Luckily, I have a great wardrobe to start with next summer! I think I’ll plan Fall so that I don’t finish when Fall ends!