During the month of May, I kept trying to reach for a long navy cardigan. I didn’t count, but I probably thought about it more than once a week. I have made several cardigans, but I have not kept any for a long period of time because almost always the neckline ended up being wrong. I realized I’m really picky about cardigans. I want them to look like sweater material; I don’t want them to look like a jersey tee or sweatshirting. Sweater fabric is hard to sew and finish the edges. This is the first one that I will keep for a long time (unless the fabric wears out really quickly).
I used the cardigan tutorial on the Hey June blog. Even though I used a tutorial, I still used the Union St Tee* as the base. In the past I have always relied on a pattern instead of all my years of working with knit fabric. Knit fabrics are tricky because each one stretches differently and returns differently. So a pattern isn’t always accurate because the each fabric will behave differently. In the past my cardigan necklines have always been too tight or too loose, and it just doesn’t work.
I used the tutorial, but I didn’t follow it exactly. I sewed on my neckline, but it was a little too short. I knew I wouldn’t wear it if I didn’t fix it, so I cut it off and redid it. It was not a lot of extra work, and it was hard to do it again because I like being done. But it was important that I make things I wear and I wear things I make, so I needed to fix it.
I also made a basic fitted tee using the Union St tee pattern*. It’s almost too boring to blog about because there is nothing special about it. I didn’t do anything special or different with the pattern. It’s just a basic fitted tee. I bought this Arizona jersey fabric* for a deal from Katie when she was selling some of her stash. It’s the first time I’ve worked with Art Gallery fabric, and it’s pretty amazing. It’s high quality and comfortable. I don’t think I’ll ever buy it full price though. I’d rather get something else for that price.