1. Wear A Dress as a Tunic and Adding Another Button – I got this olive dress from TOBI that I wear as a tunic since it’s much too short on me. I’ve never tried wearing a dress as a tunic before, but I really love it. Unfortunately, the front button placket only buttons up to just under by bust which is not high enough for my preference.
I took the extra button from the price tag and sewed it above the top button. I also added another buttonhole above the top buttonhole. This makes it so I don’t have to wear anything under the tunic. This might be one of my favorite alterations yet. It was so easy, but makes such a big difference to if I want to wear it.
2. Lengthening or Shortening Sleeves – I found this knit blazer, and I fell in love with it immediately. It fit well except the sleeves were a little too short. I purchased it, and then let the sleeves out to lengthen them. I wear it all the time now!
4. Dye or Bleach a Dress – I bought this dress thinking it was navy striped. When it arrived it was black striped. Now my husband thought I should just return it because he’s an intelligent, regular person. I make my life harder and decided to bleach the dress. I bleached it twice and got this nice reddish brown. This dress will be perfect for the summer.
5. Add Shirring to Lower or Raise a Waist – Surprisingly, this maxi dress was not too short for me, but the waist was too high. It was about an inch and a half above my actual waist. This isn’t that big of a deal, but I felt like I didn’t get definition at my thinnest section. I added a couple of rows of shirring below the dress’s waist which brings brings the waist definition lower. Now the dress fits me perfectly.
6. Add Shirring to Define a Waist – My husband bought me this dress for Valentine’s day and he totally nailed it. I love the colors and the embroidery and the style. It was supposed to come with a belt, but it didn’t. I marked where my waist was and added three rows of shirring. It’s the perfect dress now, and I actually love that I can wear it without a belt.