I’m so excited to share a really cute and really easy pillow tutorial with you today! And it’s just in time for the holidays so you can make your own holiday pillows. I’m having a moment with woven fabric at the moment. I want to only sew with woven fabric right now. I wanted to make some holiday pillows since my kids are really getting into the holiday spirit this year. They were really excited about this holiday fabric from My Fabric Designs! My sister (the amazing hand letterer) designed the holiday calligraphy fabric, and I designed the watercolor evergreen fabric. Well, let’s learn how to make these pillows! (Scroll to the end for the giveaway!)
2. Cut the front (the lettered fabric) 18″x18″.
3. Cut the back 18″ tall. Then cut the fabric in half widthwise. A fat quarter comes 21″x18″ so the two backs should be 10.5″x18″.
4. Hem one long side of each back. If your fabric is directional make sure you hem the opposite sides.
5. Lay the front right side up. Lay one back right side down on top of the front with the hemmed edge towards the middle. Lay the other back right side down on top of the front and other back with the hemmed edge towards the middle. The hems should overlap a couple of inches.
6. Pin the edges.
6. Sew all around the pillow with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Trim the corners. (My seams are serged, but you don’t have to serge at all.
7. Turn the pillow right side out and press edges carefully.
8. Sew 1/2″ around all the edges. This encloses the raw edges and makes a nice “frame” for the pillow.
9. Insert a pillow form and enjoy your pretty new pillow!
These holiday pillows are so fun and so festive! If you need an easy gift idea, check out this custom throw blanket tutorial!
I’m also giving away one French seam envelope pillow today! The pillow says “JOY” on the front with a snowflake “o”. The snowflake has been embroidered with gray embroidery floss. The back is a fabric with white snowflakes on a gray background. It has been washed and dried and pressed since being sewn. It also comes from a smoke-free, pet-free home.
TO ENTER: Subscribe to my mailing list! There’s an entry form on the top right of my blog sidebar underneath my face. Comment that you entered or that you are already subscribed. (I’ll be checking for honesty!)
The giveaway will be open until Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:59 pm.
The giveaway is open to US residents only.