I’ve redone my popular cardigan onesie tutorial! The pictures needed updating (since the original is 4 years old; can you believe how much the cardigan onesie babies have grown?), and I have a cute little baby girl to photograph wearing it! I made this version way simpler so it’s easier and quicker to make. (You can also try the simplest and easiest cardigan onesie.) This is a girly version, but I love that cardigan onesies work well for both boys and girls. I can’t wait to pair this cardigan onesie with a little skirt and knee high socks. I also added a video to the end if you want to see some during of the tutorial!
1. Sew the overlapping shoulders together so that they don’t come apart anymore. I sewed mine with a straight stitch.
3. Measure the total length of the cut edges. If using a ribbing with 50% stretch and good recovery multiply the length by 80%. If using ribbing with more than 50% stretch and less recovery multiply the length by 75% or less. Cut this long length with the stretch. The height of the ribbing should be between 1.5-2″.
4. Fold the ribbing right sides together and lengthwise. Sew the short edges together at 1/4″. Trim the corner. Turn right side out.
5. Do the same to the other short end.
6. Keep the ribbing folded in half lengthwise. Pin the center of the ribbing to the center back of the neckline. Pin the finished ends of the ribbing to the bottom edge of the onesie near the snaps.
7. Stretch and pin all along the edge.
8. Finish the edges. Press well.
9. Sew the seam allowance towards the body of the onesie with a straight edgestitch.
10. Add snaps or buttons to close the front like a cardigan. You’re done!
Here’s a quick process video where you can see me cutting and pinning.
Enjoy the cute, preppy baby cardigan onesie!