2/3 yards of softer woven fabric like Cotton Lawn, Voile, etc. (Don't use anything wider than 50".)
3 yards of 1/2" double fold bias tape, I used
PRINT: Free Swing Tunic Pattern (size 18 mos - 2T)
1. Gather your supplies.
2. Rip the edge of one edge of your fabric about 1" in to get a straight edge. Measure up 15" and rip again.
3. Find the center of the fabric and fold both selvages in to meet at the center line.
4. Use the Sleeve Cutout Pattern piece to cut out where the sleeve will go. Line up the top with the top edge and the fold with the fold.
6. Cut two sleeves on the fold from the remaining fabric. (I changed the shape after cutting this out, so your piece looks a little different.)
8. Topstitch the seam allowances of the 5" down at 1/8" from the edge.
10. Insert the sleeves into the sleeve cutout area. With WRONG SIDES TOGETHER match up the top edge of the sleeve with the top edge of the tunic and sew with a 1/4" seam allowance. You will not sew in a full U-shape but you will sew two separate sides.
12. Sew the bias edge seam allowance down towards the sleeve.
14. Gather the neckline to about 14" depending on the size of your child.
15. Cut a piece of bias binding that will fit around your button with some seam allowance to attach to the neckline. (Mine was 2 3/4" but my button was really big.) Sew along the open edge to enclose the seams.
16. Cut some bias binding 15". Fold over the raw edges 1/2" and sew down.
17. Sew loop onto one side of the back opening at the top edge.
18. Finish the neckline with the prepared bias binding. Take out the 1/2" gathering stitching.
I love the simple details of this tunic especially with some pretty bias binding. It would be so pretty with printed fabric and solid bias binding. Or stripes and dots! You could get pretty crazy with your combinations.
Now for the GIVEAWAY! You can win one 3 yard bias tape from Ahnalee Marie. Just head over to her shop and comment with which bias tape is your favorite!
The giveaway will be open for one week. The giveaway is open to to U.S. residents only. Good luck!
*Disclosure: I was not paid for the review or giveaway. I was given one cut of bias tape for free.