1. Cut off the tag.
2. Cut a rectangle around the neckband and shoulders. I cut my rectangle 14" x 14" leaving the shoulder seams and neckband intact.
4. On the back of the neckband, cut two small slits. Use a safety pin to thread the hem "string" through the slits and through the neckband. Pull it through so it's equal on both sides. Tack it in the center front to keep it even.
5. Lay out the hem "strings" down to the bottom of the rectangle. You might need to cut them a little bit shorter if making the backpack for a small child.
6. Tack the hem "strings" near the corners.
8. Turn the backpack inside out and sew at 3/8". That's it; you're done!