Shorts are a summer staple. Especially when my kids go through a couple in a day. They get dirty or change for swimming or whatever. They need lots of shorts in their wardrobe. A basic pair of shorts are SO simple to make especially if you reuse hems from an adult pair of pants or shorts. And reusing the hems makes the shorts look professionally made.
1. I cut a pair of my pants into a pair of shorts. I kept the leftover fabric and hems to make shorts for Henry. Cut along one of the seams to open it up flat. If you're using something else the cut along one of the seams (inseam is easiest) to open it up.
2. Draw the hem allowance onto the shorts.
3. Lay out the two pieces wrong sides together so you cut out mirrored pieces.
4. Line up the drawn hem line with the hem and cut out.
5. Construct the shorts as directed by the pattern instructions.