- Use fabric I have and only buy new fabric if it's absolutely necessary. I have tons of fabric, but I'm scared to use it because I might think of a better use than I've already thought of, so I just keep buying more and more fabric. I'm a fabric hoarder. It's time to use what I have! *I think I got out of the "not using my fabric" rut. I still have tons of fabric, but I usually go to my stash before I go to the store which is an improvement. It rotates pretty quickly.
- Do more fabric printing. I really love fabric printing, but I haven't done it recently. I have a fair amount of solid fabric, so I should print it to make it unique. *I didn't quite achieve this goal. I did a little bit, but not near as much as I would've liked.
- Make more "from scratch" clothing for me. I'm really good at making Henry items from scratch with patterns, but I rarely do it for myself. *I am surprised this was one of my goals because I felt I made lots of clothes for myself this year! I feel like I figured out my style and sewing aesthetic this year.
- Do more menswear for my husband. I used to sew lots of menswear, so I need to get back into it and stop leaving my husband out. *I did alright with this goal. I made him two t-shirts (a colorbocked shirt and a moose shirt) besides basic alterations (hemming, sides in, etc) that I don't count.
- Stop doing "quickie" projects for myself that I like but don't love. I need to put as much time in my stuff as I do Henry's stuff, so that I'll love them. *Wow, I forgot this was a goal too! I think I still have a problem with this but not quite as bad. I think it's also related to the pressure of having something to blog about.
- This isn't quite sewing related, but I plan to grow out my hair all year long! *Yay! I did do this goal and was quite proud of myself for donating it at the end. I technically cut it the middle of December, but that counts, right?
My Sewing Goals for 2014
- Make more items from scratch. At the same time, I would love to think of some great, really quick sewing tutorials to share. Hopefully, I can do both this year!
- One problem with being a sewing blogger is dividing time between blogging and sewing. This past year I was able to put a fair amount of time into both because I only have one child who naps everyday. I won't have the same time to divide this next year. I'm not going to stop blogging, but I am going to put more time into sewing. The Monday sewing tips will be less frequent, the sewing linkup will be once a month, and I will have one or two sewing project/tutorial posts every week.I need to focus on what I love, which is sewing and sharing it with the sewing community.
- Be more open about spending/saving money when it comes to sewing.
- Share more pattern alteration tutorials.
- Along with the last goal, less media in my life and my family's lives.
- Sew three menswear items this year. (Luckily, one will be done for the next goal!)
- Sew coordinating Easter outfits this year. I already know what I'm going to make too!
What are your sewing goals for this year?